15 Aug What is Six Sigma?
Did you know that the six sigma method is estimated by Kauffman to be able to save companies over $1 million a year? It’s understandable seeing that it’s intended to increase performance while decreasing process variation.
Six Sigma is a method that provides an organization with the tools to improve the capabilities of the business processes, according to ASQ.
One of the many benefits to the Six Sigma method is the ability to categorize and rank people.
The Belt System
If you’re familiar at all with karate, this won’t be very new material to you. These belts are very similar, they’re used to rank and establish a chain of command amongst your employees. This will help your employees decipher a clean line as to who’s who and help them understand what’s expected of them, says Villanova University.
- Champions: Champions are highest on the totem pole. These are your upper management workers and they will implement all Six Sigma projects.
- Master Black Belt: These are your wise ones, they have more experience than pretty much anyone else and can provide the Champions with advice. Master Black Belts train the lower belts as well.
- Black Belts: Their whole days are surrounded by Six Sigma. They’re responsible for the actual doing and preparing. Black Belts are also in charge of communicating to the Champions and Masters.
- Green Belts: These people have some Six Sigma training but are still perfecting their methods. These people are to be called upon by the black belts to help with Six Sigma projects.
Approaches Are Different Depending On the Project
There are two different approaches depending on where you are with your project.
- DMAIC: This is what you would use for an existing project. It’s an acronym for Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control.
- DMADV: This is what you would use on a new project. This one stands for Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, and Verify. This model will allow your team to identify customer needs and satisfaction, says Kauffman.
How Will Six Sigma Really Impact My Business?
It Can Help Your Employees Maintain Motivation
With some effective goal setting and use of the Six Sigma method, your employee can drive their success even higher.
Encourage them to look at their project or goal from three angles when they are finished, learning, performance, and fulfillment.
The aim of Six Sigma is to have a defect rate of less than 3.4 per million, says the Process Excellence Network. This makes Six Sigma extremely useful to smaller companies who cannot afford to have a product have major defects as a major company can.
It’s Easy to See The Results
With Six Sigma it’s really easy to see the results of your hard work. It’s also easy to gauge any particular employee’s effectiveness. This can help your employees modify and create their own strategies for what works for them.
However, the nicest part is the money you’ll save. According to Kauffman, you can save between $150,000 to $250,000 per green belt project and MORE than $1 million per black level project.
If you think you’re ready to become a Six Sigma master, check out this course on Cudoo you can work on anytime, anywhere.